Tuesday, December 6, 2011

One-Shot Marathon

Up until now, when I run games, the intent is always some big, epic story. I have this vision of leading my players through this vast world, their characters becoming like unto the gods, finally saving all of creation from whatever threat looms. This has never happened. Every world I've ever created or tossed my players into exists now in a suspended state of peril. I suppose it's for the best, as they would have caused a lot of collateral damage along the way, and now Yanosh the pig farmer can shovel his slop in peace, rather than watch his hopes and dreams razed by the Dark Army of the Week. Hell, most times, they never even figure out who the enemy is. They slaughter some goblins, maybe hear about some fallen civilization, and then real life happens and the campaign falls apart.
Thus far, my most successful campaign has been Deadlands. The group has completed two, count 'em, TWO story arcs! Then one of the key players, who I will call The Cheat, moved to Europe.

So for now we'll be exploring the One-Shot. I've always turned my nose up at the free short adventures RPGs provide for new players, full of premade characters, but I see this as an opportunity. There are a heck of a lot of good games out there, and this will give us a chance to try more of them. Also, it will allow some other folks to take a crack at the GM's chair. I like slaughtering orcs/zombies/nazis as much as the next guy, so hopefully someone will step up.

Coming soon: The One Ring

2 comments: